One way the hubs and I like to show appreciation is through food. What better way to say Thank You than a beautiful batch of yummy cupcakes? I can't think of much more than cupcakes, that is also easy on the ole pocketbook! A couple of weeks ago the hubs asked me to bake something for the nurses he was working with on a residency rotation. I LOVE when he asks me to do this because:
#1 I love to give to others
#2 I love to bake a BIG batch of sweets....eat
one two...and pack up the rest so they stop screaming at me to eat them all! Please tell me they scream at you too...
For this specific appreciation gift I decided to try something new. What sounds better than S'mores Cupcakes? Shew wee! I am a sucker for campfire S'mores. I combed over many recipes on the internet...I mean Pinterest....and decided to incorporate about 3-4 recipes into one.
These cupcakes were sooooo good. I can't even explain how hard it was not to eat more than
one two. The hubs isn't a huge cake fan and he even said "nice work in the kitchen". Haha, love him.
A moist chocolate cake is filled with marshmallow cream and topped with a graham cracker buttercream - can you say "holy moly"...I sure did.
Try these out ASAP. This recipe is worth the time in the kitchen. Who knows...maybe you can keep half for your family and gift the other half to brighten someone's day!
|Every time I bake, Murphy thinks I might be making dog treats again...he is just making sure I guess.|
1 ¾ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup boiling water
One sleeve of graham crackers, processed into fine crumbs (use for cake & buttercream using directions below)
Marshmallow Cream Filling:
4 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup marshmallow cream
1 ½-2 cups powdered sugar
Graham Cracker Buttercream:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
¾ cup graham cracker crumbs (fine crumbs)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 tablespoons whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 360 degrees and line cupcake pans with liners (about 24-30).
2. Mix sugar, brown sugar and oil until smooth.
3. Add sour cream and vanilla extract, stir well.
4. Add eggs one at a time and mix only until incorporated.
5. In a separate bowl stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
6. Add dry ingredients and boiling water to sugar mixture alternating between the two.
7. Spoon ¾ teaspoon of graham cracker crumbs into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Shake pan to spread evenly.
8. Fill liners ¾ full and bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
|Cooling after baking....one cupcake HAD to be tested though.|
9. Mashmallow Cream Filling: Beat cream cheese, marshmallow cream and powdered sugar. Add more powdered sugar to taste. (This mixture should not be thick like a buttercream, because it will be in the center of your cupcake.)
10.When cupcakes are cooled, cut out a small area from the top of the cake and pipe marshmallow cream into each cupcake. (Keep all of your cake pieces in a bowl for a snack!)
|Filled with yummy marshmallow cream|
|What the inside of the cupcake will look like...notice the graham cracker bottom.|
11. Graham Cracker Buttercream: Beat cream cheese and butter until light and creamy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and graham cracker crumbs. At this point, the buttercream will look like cookie dough. Add heavy cream a little bit at a time until buttercream consistency is reached.
12. Pipe onto cooled, marshmallow filled cupcakes and enjoy!
Yields 24-30 cupcakes.
|Perfectly good cupcake waiting for a hungry tummy!|
|All packed up and ready to go say "Thank You" to the nurses at the hospital!|
|Poor Murphy still doesn't understand why he can't have one...|
Is your mouth watering yet? Well then...get in the kitchen you Betty Crocker you! Anyone can do this...when you bake them be sure to come back and tell me how much you loved them.
Peace out for now!